Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Happy Mistakes - Inside Out German Chocolate Cupcakes


I started to call this post "Happy Accidents", but I'm afraid it wasn't like that. It was a full-blown mistake.

My order from the coffee shop was for German Chocolate Cupcakes. Oh sure, that's easy--"no problem" was my response. I didn't have a go-to recipe, so I finally settled on Magnolia Bakery's recipe for the cake, and a new-to-me recipe for the filling (recipe below).

I first made the filling, which specifies condensed milk along with the traditional ingredients of egg yolks, coconut and pecans. But I got a little bit distracted and added the German Sweet Chocolate into the pan with the rest of the ingredients! It had already melted into yummy, buttery, chocolatey gooey-ness before I noticed my mistake. It was delicious.

Magnolia's recipe is a little bit tender for cupcakes, and some of the cupcakes fell a bit in the middle, but the result is moist, melt-in-your-mouth goodness.

After the cupcakes cooled, I dipped them in a nice chocolate glaze, which I found on Allrecipes here and added a generous dollop of the goofed-up chocolate filling on top.

Chocolate overload? You bet! I sent some of the fallen rejects to the office where my husband works, and in the words of one of the staff, it was "better than sex". You be the judge.

 

Chocolate Coconut Pecan Filling
1-1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup salted butter (1-1/2 sticks)
2 oz German sweet chocolate
4 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1-1/2 cups finely chopped pecans

Place milk, butter, chocolate, and vanilla in medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until butter and chocolate are melted and combined.

Whisk egg yolks in medium bowl. Whisking constantly, add part of hot milk mixture to egg yolks until combined. Whisk mixture back into saucepan and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, coconut, and pecans. Cool completely. May be refrigerated in airtight container up to 2 days.

11 comments:

Carrie said...

oh my god those look amazing!!!

About GrannyLooHoo said...

Lobs, thank you!!Your pix make my mouth water all the time...and I'm not even a vegetarian!

LadyJayPee said...

Once again, painful salivation. :) And I'm not a big German chocolate fan! I want to do a face plant in that chocolate glaze though! Good work, Granny!

About GrannyLooHoo said...

LOL at painful salivation JPee! I'm not a big fan of GC either, but I could eat the glaze with a spoon.

HoneyB said...

Granny I would love to eat one of your mistakes anytime! They look sticky, gooey, delish!

About GrannyLooHoo said...

Thanks HoneyB! They were pretty sticky & gooey. :)

s00ner75 said...

Oh, mom you are always your biggest critic! We are happy to eat your 'mistakes' anytime. Thanks again for the soup and foccacia last night. And everyone loved the chocolate cake at work today!!

About GrannyLooHoo said...

That's my little girl!--I'll pay you later ;)

Ingrid said...

LOL! Now that says a lot especially if it was a guy that said it!

Good job on the save!
~ingrid

Linda said...

Thanks Ingrid.

And yes, it was a guy!

Christine aka Mistress of Cakes said...

Your on Foodbuzz now YIPPEEEE! Just wanted to let all the Foodbuzzers here know! We have to support creative women like GrannyLooHoo here!

Welcome to Foodbuzz again!

Mistress of Cakes