Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Baked Chicken Penne with Lawhorn's Signature Seasoning


It isn't often I see the name "Lawhorn", and never associated with a commercial product. Lawhorn is a very special name to me, as it was my maiden name. As proud as I was (and still am) of being a Lawhorn, it was a name I had to spell for every person that I met, and it was a relief to marry a man with a simple four-letter last name and not have to spell my name anymore. (I never understood why everyone wanted to pronounce and spell it L-o-n-g-h-o-r-n! Ugh!)


When I saw this seasoning mentioned on Steph's awesome blog, Plain Chicken, I was dumbstruck. "Lawhorn"? You've got to be kidding! I immediately researched and found their website and emailed the link to my relatives with "you won't believe this" in the subject line.

After emailing the company I received a prompt and friendly response as well as an offer to send me a sample of their seasoning. I responded with my address, and a few days later I received a beautifully packaged full bottle of seasoning along with a nice note and recipes. My nephew emailed and also received a free sample! The mixture has an intoxicating aroma, with a well-balanced, warm and peppery garlic scent. The flavor? Magnificent! I am proud of my Lawhorn "cousins"for this excellent product! (Are we related? Who knows, but the name "Lawhorn" is not a common one.)


I am currently in the midst of catering Wednesday night dinners at my church and decided to tweak a baked chicken penne dish to serve this week. To prepare the chicken, I simply tossed 3 boneless chicken breasts in olive oil and sprinkled them liberally with Lawhorn's seasoning. After baking them and tasting one bite, I wanted to eat the rest of it solo! The seasoning has just the right amount of garlic to onion ratio, and there is a pleasant, lingering warmth from the spices.

I foresee endless possibilities with this "family" seasoning and can't wait to try it with beef, fish, and other savory dishes.


Lawhorn Baked Chicken Penne
Based on and adapted from this recipe
Serves 6

Place three boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which have been tossed in olive oil and sprinkled liberally with Lawhorn's Signature Seasoning (or seasoning of your choice) in a greased baking dish and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (depending on thickness), or until juices run clear. Allow breasts to cool and give them a rough chop or shred into bite-sized pieces. Follow instructions below for remainder of recipe.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red pepper
2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups seasoned, baked, chopped chicken breast
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded Romano/Parmesan cheese blend, divided
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
12 oz cooked penne pasta
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 teaspoons melted butter

Prepare 2-1/2 quart baking dish with baking spray (I used a 12 X 7-1/2 X 2 inch Corningware dish.) In skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil and butter; add onion and red pepper and sauté until tender. Stir in garlic powder and chicken; cook 1 minute longer. Reduce heat and sprinkle flour over mixture and lightly stir; add chicken broth and stir until thickened. Add milk, sour cream, basil, and salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 of cheeses and heat through but do not boil. Combine sauce mixture with pasta; spoon into prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs mixed with 2 teaspoons melted butter; bake about 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.


I served this with a tossed green salad and focaccia breadsticks. The chicken was tender and spiced up the lightly sauced pasta. Even though the recipe serves 6, the two of us had second helpings and had very little left over.





Pin It

6 comments:

My Inner Chick said...

---Hello!
This look SOooo DElish :)
I am ordering that seasoning to try. Thank you! X

Linda said...

Hope you enjoy it, Kim! ;)

What A Dish! said...

Looks like a yummy pasta dish, and I love the photo w/the breadstick.

Linda said...

Thank you Dish! :)

Barbara Bakes said...

How fun to have a seasoning all your own. The pasta sounds fabulous. What a lucky group.

Linda said...

It is fun to have a seasoning with such a familiar name, Barbara. :)